Subject: Be at CMA's actions at CBS
"CBS News, broadcast the Iraq expose!"
"Broadcast the cancelled '60 Minutes' report!"
"CBS, tell the people about this war!"
Please join in our actions at CBS Monday October 11 and again on October 18!
Chicago Media Action (CMA) will be at CBS's main studios Monday October 11,
and again next Monday, the 18th, with signs and handouts attacking CBS News
for politically-motivated self-censored journalism. CMA wants a cancelled
'60 Minutes' expose about the Iraq War to be broadcast. CMA also wants
fewer Chicago radio and television licenses to be renewed for CBS and its
conglomerate owner, Viacom International.
This CMA 'educational outreach action' will be at Viacom's offices and
studios for its Channel 2 Television and for 3 of its 7 Chicago radio
stations. 630 N. McClurg Court is a mile due north of the Loop and a block
from Lake Michigan. We will be there through rush hour, from about 3 p.m.
until 6 p.m.
Our action HANDOUT states our issues very briefly: www.9898.us/3/viacom41011.htm.
And FAIR.org has a good article with more details,
Please forward this information widely. And print and distribute copies of
the handout if you can.
Contact: Ron Kunde, CMA, (773) 929-3461.
- The Viacom-CBS issue side is www.9898.us/3/viacom41011.htm. (PDF version: www.chicagomediaaction.org/pdffiles/viacom_October_2004_action.pdf. M.S. Word
version: www.9898.us/3/viacom41011.doc.) Signs will use some of these
- Side two announces the major CMA event on October 24.
www.9898.us/3/hijacking_flier.pdf is a .pdf flyer for 'A Pre-Election Town Meeting on
the War in Iraq' that will include special speakers and the acclaimed
documentary film 'Hijacking Catastrophe'. There is no charge for the event,
which is at 3 p.m. in the Chicago Temple, across from the Daley Center
Picasso. Full details about that event are at www.9898.us/3/cma41024ad.htm.
Background on the Viacom-CBS issue:
- A very good FAIR.org article about our issue is at
- General information about media conglomerate Viacom International Inc. is
- Viacom International CEO Sumner Redstone's announced political preferences
are described in www.freepress.net/news/4854 ('Media Mogul Maelstrom', Newsweek, October 4,
- Some places where future action and news items will be posted:
630 N. McClurg Court is a mile due north of the Loop and two blocks from Lake Michigan:
- CHICAGO MEDIA ACTION did flyering at Channel 2 on Columbus Day October 11 and again October 18 (Media Democracy Day)! The issues are CBS News's withdrawal of a '60 Minutes' report on false reasons for invading Iraq; and Viacom's exaggerated power over Chicago's news.
Click HERE for details and see the WBBM-TV map below.
- Viacom's CBS News, including Channel 2 News, has cancelled a long overdue '60 Minutes' report on deceiving the public for the preemptive invasion of Iraq. CBS gives a political, not journalistic, reason for suppressing the report. "It would be inappropriate to air the report so close to the election."
Some web articles about CBS News's self-censorship are here, here, and here. General information about Viacom, CBS Television, and WBBM-TV is at Media Issues Links.