chapelQuigley Class of '61 Renunion


I have wonderful memories of my days at Quigley.  But after five years of shaking that red and white “mission box” in everyone’s face, it was time to make a change.  I entered Maryknoll and was off to a world of change.  In 1962 I was able to make a 4 month trip by myself to 31 countries and to see so much of the “mission” world.  This world trip has influenced my vision of things until today.  In 1964 I broke my back and neck while doing my favorite sport of water skiing.  This accident has influenced my physical and medical life until today.

My first extended time as a priest outside of the USA was in Bolivia.  I did so miserably in Latin, Greek, French and Italia at QPS; but when I started to study Spanish, I was motivated to communicate with the people and finally learned something.  My ten years in the modern oil rich Venezuela of the 70s was filled with excitement and challenge.  This first decade of my priesthood also saw me in Nicaragua after the earthquake of 1972, in quarantine in Costa Rica with meningitis in 1973, turning my parish in Caracas into a refugee center after a flood in 1977, and taking time to be Mother Teresa’s interpreter in 1978.  Somehow I found the time to squeeze in to be both a pilot and scuba diver.

In 1981 with temperatures of -35 degrees, I spent 3 months at Madonna House in Canada.  A truly joyful and spiritual time was living in for 3 months with the Trappist in Iowa in 1983.  I did a six year assignment on public relations 1981-7 and had to drive over 50,000 miles a year.  I leaned so much about the Church in the USA and sharing with people from such a variety of backgrounds.  Personally being able to talk with Pope John Paul II in Phoenix in 1987 naturally was special. In 1988 I was able to make another world trip and bring my visitations up to 84 countries.  People everywhere, no matter their background, continue to touch my heart.

The 90s were spent in the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico.  I lived for 5 years in the jungle with the Mayan Indians but sadly never did learn Maya.  Typhoid fever, melanoma cancer, and hepatitis brought my body to the city of Merida, but so much of my heart remained amongst the people in the Indian villages.  A one day invitation to the prison in Merida changed my course of life and I began to live in a prison cell.  I was blessed with a beautiful relationship with both the prisoners and also with the warden.  “Metanoia” (change of heart) was the fruit of many blessings.  Living in Mexico provided the opportunity to learn in word and spirit so much about Our Lady of Guadalupe.  Although I in good conscience separated from Maryknoll in 1997, I continue to live the joy of my priesthood.  My physical limitations mean that much of my “mission” is now adapting my spirit to sitting in my home at my computer and giving advice.  My tiny home chapel is a place of solace.  My Faith is strong, but my body is weak.  I thank God and the Virgin for so many miracles in my life.